Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Unwanted Thoughts: Are They Really Dangerous?


Sometimes, while waiting for the subway, I imagine someone getting pushed in front of the train.
Does this sound like someone with good mental health? A patient in need of medication or a good therapist?
Nope. The above quote comes from me -- a clinical psychologist!
It is a line that I often use with a number of clients seeking therapy -- particularly clients suffering from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD).
There may be a few questions swirling around in your head at this point, such as "Why do you tell clients about your crazy thoughts?" or "Hey, should this guy have a license to work with the public?"
However, I bet there are readers who are thinking "Oh thank god, I am not the only one who experiences weird and random thoughts of violence."
Read the rest at Huffington Post here...

No comments: