Thursday, June 21, 2012

The Fabrication of Reality Among People with Rejection Phobia

I recently wrote about rejection phobia and the impact it can have on people's lives. One of the more tragic aspects of rejection phobia is how self-sustaining the problem can be. In fact, people who are rejection phobic ultimately fabricate their own reality that perpetuates their phobia and can leave them socially isolated. Rejection phobia is always associated with a core belief about the self -- the more common ones being: "I am unlikeable" "I am defective in some fundamental way" "I am unacceptable the way I currently am" Here's the surprising thing about these beliefs -- the person with rejection phobia is often correct in their self-assessment. Put differently, the beliefs they have formed are the most appropriate conclusions to be drawn from their subjective experiences in social situations and relationships. Read the rest at Huffington Post here.

No comments: